When considering the maintenance of a building, whether it’s your home or business, one aspect that can’t be overlooked is the cleanliness of the windows. This brings us to the pivotal question: Are professional window cleaners worth it? The simple answer is yes, and here's why.
Why do windows need cleaning
Windows need regular cleaning for a multitude of reasons. They are the eyes of your home or business, providing a glimpse of the outside world. Clean windows allow for unobstructed views, let in more natural light, and can significantly impact the impression your property makes on visitors or clients. Over time, windows collect dust, pollen, and other debris, not to mention the potential buildup of hard water stains that can permanently damage the glass.
How do professionals clean windows?
The magic behind the effectiveness of professional window cleaning lies in the use of pure water technology. Pure water, in the window cleaning industry, refers to water that has been completely stripped of its natural minerals. This demineralised state is typically achieved through a process of deionisation or reverse osmosis. Natural tap water contains minerals such as calcium and magnesium, which, although harmless to drink, can leave streaks and spots when used to clean windows because these minerals remain after the water evaporates.
The process of pure water cleaning, also known as water-fed pole (WFP) system cleaning, starts with the purification of water using reverse osmosis and deionisation filters. The reverse osmosis filter works by pushing water through a semi-permeable membrane, which blocks impurities and allows only pure water to pass through. Deionisation works by passing water over resin beads that bind and remove minerals. The result is water in its purest form, with a total dissolved solids (TDS) reading of zero parts per million (ppm).
In the pure water window cleaning process, this deionised water is then pumped from the tank through hoses and up telescopic poles, which can be extended to clean high or hard-to-reach windows safely from the ground. The water is jetted onto the window through a brush attachment that scrubs away the dirt. Since the water is free of impurities, it acts as a powerful cleaning agent, absorbing dirt from the glass. As the dirt is brushed away and rinsed with the pure water, it simply runs off the glass, which is then allowed to dry naturally. There's no need to squeegee the water away because the pure water leaves no residue or streaks behind.
The benefits of this method are numerous:
Safety - using telescopic poles allows cleaners to work from the ground, avoiding the risks associated with ladder or scaffold use.
- the use of pure water reduces the cleaning time as there is no need for drying or polishing the windows after washing.
- the extendable poles can reach several stories high, which means even windows in difficult positions can be cleaned.
- this method eliminates the need for chemical cleaning agents, reducing environmental pollution.
Durability of clean
- windows tend to stay clean longer as there are no sticky soap residues that attract dirt.
Conservation of water
- pure water cleaning is a more conservative method of cleaning as it generally uses less water than traditional methods.
Quality and aesthetics
- the result is a spot-free, streak-free finish, enhancing the clarity and appearance of the glass.
Considering all these advantages, professional window cleaning with pure water technology clearly stands out as an effective solution, not just for the superior clean it provides, but also for its safety and environmental benefits. This is why Truclean Plus champions this method, affirming that professional window cleaners are indeed worth it.
DIY vs Professional window cleaning
The debate between DIY and professional window cleaning is often framed by factors such as cost, time and the level of cleanliness achieved. For those considering DIY, the immediate advantage is perceived to be the savings in cost. However, this needs to be weighed against several critical factors.
Quality and equipment
- professional window cleaners come equipped with high-grade equipment, like water-fed poles and pure water systems, which most homeowners do not have at their disposal. The specialised tools used by professionals can clean more effectively, leaving windows not only sparkling but also cleaner for longer due to the use of pure water technology. In contrast, DIY cleaning often results in streaks or residue due to the use of tap water and less effective tools.
- is a significant factor in the DIY vs. professional debate. Window cleaning is time-consuming, especially if you are not doing it regularly and efficiently. A professional can complete the job in a fraction of the time it would take an amateur to do it, saving the property owner valuable time that could be spent on other activities or responsibilities.
- when it comes to safety, the difference is even more stark. Professional window cleaners are trained to handle the risks associated with their job, especially when working at heights. They use safety equipment and have the expertise to avoid accidents. Homeowners trying to clean second-story windows, for instance, can put themselves at great risk of injury. The cost of an accident could far outweigh the money saved by not hiring a professional.
Complexity and accessibility
- certain windows, like those on multi-story buildings or those with unusual shapes, present unique challenges. Professionals are trained to deal with complex situations and can often clean windows that would be inaccessible to the average homeowner.
Longevity and maintenance
- the techniques used by professionals can extend the life of your windows. Proper cleaning can prevent the etching effect of dirt and debris and the degrading of window frames by removing corrosive substances. This is an aspect of window maintenance that homeowners may overlook during DIY cleaning.
Insurance and liability
- professional window cleaning companies carry insurance to protect against the possibility of damage to your property or injury to the cleaners. This is not the case when you decide to clean your windows yourself; any damage or accident will be an out-of-pocket cost.
In summary, while DIY window cleaning may seem cost-effective initially, it does not match the quality, safety, and time-saving benefits offered by professional window cleaners. The use of pure water technology, professional equipment, and expertise means that professionals can provide a superior service with less risk and better results. This makes the investment in professional window cleaning services a worthwhile consideration for anyone looking to maintain their property's appearance and value.
How often should windows be cleaned?
Determining the frequency of window cleaning is not a one-size-fits-all scenario; it varies widely based on several factors. Regular window cleaning helps to maintain window clarity, prevent the buildup of grime and pollutants and protect the glass from degradation caused by the elements.
For businesses, however, the need is greater due to the role clean windows play in presenting a professional and welcoming façade. Retail locations, for instance, can benefit from more frequent cleanings, as spotless windows are essential for showcasing products and creating an inviting atmosphere for customers. Office buildings might opt for quarterly cleanings, but those in urban areas or those with a high-profile client base may require more frequent attention to maintain a pristine appearance.
Joining a regular cleaning round offered by professional window cleaning services can be incredibly advantageous. By scheduling cleanings every 8 or 12 weeks, property owners ensure that their windows are maintained without the need to remember to book each cleaning or repeatedly do this job yourself. This regular maintenance by professionals has several benefits:
- regular rounds maintain a consistent level of cleanliness, which means windows never reach a level of dirtiness that is noticeable
Longevity of windows
- regular cleaning prevents the buildup of corrosive substances and hard water staining that can etch into glass and degrade window frames over time.
- by preventing the accumulation of dirt and grime, it's often easier and quicker to clean the windows, which can make each cleaning session more cost-effective.
Better first impression
- for businesses, the cleanliness of windows directly impacts customers' and clients' first impressions. Regular cleanings ensure that a business always presents itself in the best possible light.
- clean windows also contribute to a healthier indoor environment by reducing the dust and allergens that can accumulate on sills and in the corners of windows.
- regular cleanings can serve as a form of preventive maintenance, identifying potential issues like cracks or broken seals before they become costly problems.
In summary, investing in professional window cleaners is definitely worth it. The benefits of having pristine, streak-free windows that enhance the aesthetic appeal of your property are undeniable. Professionals save you time, ensure safety, and provide a level of cleanliness that contributes to the longevity of your windows. Truclean Plus understands the value of clean windows and the impact it has on your day-to-day life, making the investment in professional window cleaning an easy choice.